Become a UCCE Master Food Preserver Volunteer
We will hold training in 2023. See the Current Training page for more information. Click the image below to download the flyer.
Why become a Master Food Preserver?
- It's a great way to contribute to our community. Every year, we perform thousands of hours of volunteer service to help keep the Sacramento community safe and healthy.
- As an Master Food Preserver, you get to meet and work with a group of passionate, Sacramento-area food enthusiasts.
- Being a Master Food Preserver is an excellent way to learn and stay up-to-date on the latest preserving methods and issues in food safety.
The Sacramento Training Program
UCCE Master Food Preserver trainees in Sacramento County participate in a thorough 9-session program of instruction in home food preservation. The classes cover the following topics:
- Food safety
- Canning with boiling water, steam, and pressure
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
The program is rigorous: between January and May trainees meet several times a month on Saturdays for 7 hours (9 AM - 4 PM) each class. Instructors use lectures and hands-on labs to teach the food preservation techniques during classes, with additional study time and home projects required. Regular written tests and a final examination prepare the trainees to begin their first year educating our community.
Enter your contact information on our Master Food Preserver Training Interest Form and we will contact you with details about our next training.