Become a UCCE Master Food Preserver Volunteer
Why become an Master Food Preserver Volunteer in Sacramento County?
- It's a great way to contribute to our community. Every year, we perform thousands of hours of volunteer service to help keep the Sacramento community safe and healthy.
- As an Master Food Preserver, you get to meet and work with a group of passionate, Sacramento-area food enthusiasts.
- Being a Master Food Preserver is an excellent way to learn and stay up-to-date on the latest preserving methods and issues in food safety.
The Sacramento Training Program
UCCE Master Food Preserver trainees in Sacramento County participate in a thorough 8-week program of instruction in home food preservation. The classes cover the following topics:
- Food safety
- Canning with boiling water, steam, and pressure methods
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
The program is rigorous: Classes meet every week for six hours, with hands-on labs to learn the food preservation techniques and outside study in addition to class time. Weekly written tests and a final examination prepare the trainees to begin their first year.
Upcoming Master Food Preserver Training
Interested in becoming a UCCE Master Food Preserver volunteer in Sacramento County? Enter your contact information on our Master Food Preserver Training Interest form and we will contact you about our next training.