Become a UCCE Master Food Preserver Volunteer
Why become a Master Food Preserver?
- It's a great way to contribute to our community. Every year, we perform thousands of hours of volunteer service to help keep the Sacramento community safe and healthy.
- As an Master Food Preserver, you get to meet and work with a group of passionate, Sacramento-area food enthusiasts.
- Being a Master Food Preserver is an excellent way to learn and stay up-to-date on the latest preserving methods and issues in food safety.
The Sacramento Training Program
UCCE Master Food Preserver trainees in Sacramento County participate in a thorough 9-session program of instruction in home food preservation. The classes cover the following topics:
- Food safety
- Canning with boiling water, steam, and pressure
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
The program is rigorous: between January and May trainees meet several times a month on Saturdays for 7 hours (9 AM - 4 PM) each class. Instructors use lectures and hands-on labs to teach the food preservation techniques during classes, with additional study time and home projects required. Regular written tests and a final examination prepare the trainees to begin their first year educating our community.
Our next training is scheduled--get the details!
Enter your contact information on our Master Food Preserver Training Interest Form and we will contact you with details about our next training.